We’re here for you
Furlough Program Guidelines
South Bay Credit Union has the following options available to members working for an affected agency who are impacted by the recent government shutdown:
- Payment Deferral
- Emergency Relief Loan
- Certificate – early withdrawal
In order to receive assistance, South Bay Credit Union may ask you to provide a copy of your furlough letter, Badge, or Employee ID as verification that you work for an affected agency. Depending on the nature of the program below, the representative will alert you if a copy of your furlough letter is required.
Learn more about these options below or contact South Bay Credit Union at 1-310-374-3436 to speak with a Relationship Manager to determine eligibility.
Consumer loans and lines of credit may be eligible for up to a 90-day payment deferral during the month of January.
For members with real estate loans with South Bay Credit Union, you will need to speak with a representative to determine if you qualify for a furlough extension on your first mortgage, equity loan, or equity line of credit. To determine eligibility for an extension on an existing mortgage loan, please contact Rosemarie Valdez 1-424-327-9804 for assistance.
Please complete the form if you are interested in a payment deferral on your car loan, credit card, personal loan, or line of credit. Proof of Government employment will be required.
Emergency Relief Loan
If you are a current member with South Bay Credit Union and are looking for paycheck replacement or other access to funds during the government shutdown, we offer an Emergency Relief loan. This unsecured, fixed-rate installment loan offers an initial interest rate of 0.00%APR** and no payment for the first 90-day. After 90 days your Emergency Relief Signature loan will roll over to at a low-interest rate (rate determined at the time of approval*) with a maximum term of 12 months.
- Members must apply to determine eligibility. All South Bay Credit Union credit guidelines may apply.
- Members may request up to one month’s net pay and should provide a furlough letter and or verification of income at the time of approval.
- Rates: 5% APR** to current members with direct deposit, 9% APR** for current members without direct deposit
Please complete the loan application below to apply for the Emergency Relief loan product and see if you qualify.
*Loan Disclosure: **APR: Annual Percentage Rate. You must currently be employed by a government agency. You must be in good standings with South Bay Credit Union
Certificate – Early Withdrawal
Access to your money has never been more important.
South Bay Credit Union will allow a one-time early withdrawal from your current certificate held with South Bay Credit Union, fee free for the next 90 days as of January 1st with proof of government employment.
Please complete the early withdrawal application below
- To qualify, you must have been employed by the affected Government agencies with proof of employment through work ID, Furlough letter or last received paystub.
- A processing fee of $0.00 per loan will apply. You must maintain a minimum of $5 in your savings account at all times.
- If your loan is paid via payroll deduction or other automatic deduction, the deduction will occur as it normally would. The amount of the deduction normally applied to your loan will then be deposited into your savings or checking account. If your loan is paid via a transfer from your SBCU savings or checking account, the payment will be adjusted during your skipped month(s) and no funds transferred.
- Your regular monthly loan payments (and any preauthorized transfers) shall resume in the month immediately following your skipped payment(s).
- Loans secured by real property, home equity lines of credit (HELOCs) or loans with force-placed insurance are not eligible through the standard payment deferral program. You must speak to a representative.
- When you skip a payment, interest will continue to accrue on your loan during the month(s) you skip, which may result in paying higher interest over the life of the loan. Credit insurance protection premiums charges (if applicable) will continue to accrue. On closed-end loans, your loan maturity date will be extended by one month (or a one-month “equivalent”) for each monthly payment you skip.
- For members who have Guaranteed Asset Protection (GAP), claim coverage does not extend to the amount of payment(s) deferred. In addition, the coverage will not be extended beyond the original maturity date.